Procrastination allows you to find the best things sometimes. So, naturally I have to share this with the masses. Everyone and their mama knows about that trick Sallie Mae. If you don’t know her, well, you are a very fortunate individual. Here, rapper, Dee-1, a New Orleans native and former math teacher celebrated his desirable accomplishment of vanquishing his student loan debt in classic fashion: a Youtube music video.
Let me point out the things that are fantastic about this video:
1. He is an educated, intelligent,black, American rapper rapping about education and not a lifestyle many of us will never have. Like, this guy used to teach middle school math. Middle School. Yuck. I taught high school and I thought it was a struggle albeit rewarding. He gets cool points.
2. He barely cursed and was still relatable.
3. No sexualization (I think) was in the video.
4. It showed positive images of black professionals along with other colors of the rainbow.
5. He rapped about working jobs that normal Americans have…AKA no trap houses, no drugs, no violence because THE MAJORITY OF BLACK AMERICA DOES NOT DO THIS unbeknownst to the basics and their passive ways of receiving information.
6. He ate red beans and rice on a Monday of which I am craving right about now. (They only taste good in the South. Not here in Yankee land)
7. He was having fun. So many times videos associate blackness with struggle, shady deals, back doors and hardships that definitely disproportionately affect us [black people], but when we see it all the time we stop thinking that there is any other option or experience.
Now, he has many other accomplishments of which you can look up yourself, but right now, check out the hilarity below: